The New Zealand Chinese Weekly News was published in Wellington by the New Zealand Chinese Association and ran from September 1937 to July 1946. It was formed as part of the Chinese New Zealand community’s response to the Sino-Japanese War, which began in July 1937, and was founded as a means to unite Chinese New Zealanders in the struggle against the Japanese, as well as a means to publicise the Association’s war effort activities. The paper was published weekly and circulated throughout the country. Each issue was laboriously hand written and cyclostyled and was written and edited by full-time professionally trained journalists. The paper largely consisted of war news from China, with an emphasis on news from Guangdong, the home province of the majority of Chinese New Zealanders. New Zealand-related news was practically non-existent, reflecting the community’s focus on China at the time. As well as publishing news on the war the newspaper also acted as a fund-raiser for the Chinese war effort, the revenue from advertising in the paper being donated to the Chinese Relief Fund. The war in China ended in August 1945 and the New Zealand Chinese Weekly News ceased publication in July 1946.